SB 749 establishes various rights of conscience for health insurance consumers.
• No employee or self-employed person can be compelled to obtain health coverage for abortion, contraceptives or sterilizations when these items violate their moral or religious beliefs.
• No employer or health plan sponsor can be compelled to provide coverage for abortion, contraceptives or sterilizations when this violates their moral or religious beliefs.
• No government agency may discriminate against or penalize a health plan sponsor, employer or employee that refuses to provide coverage for, participate in, or refer for, abortion, contraceptives or sterilizations because of their religious beliefs or moral convictions.
• Authorizes the state attorney general to file suit in state or federal court to defend the religious liberties outlined in SB 749.
• Requires health insurers to give clear and conspicuous notice to consumers whether or not contraceptives and elective abortions are proposed to be in their health plan.
• Requires health insurers to exclude contraceptive and elective abortion coverage when purchasers object on moral or religious grounds.